Sunday, May 22, 2011

SUP and Hiking

While in Hawaii, my family went hiking in Kauai and got to see Waimea Canyon followed by an 8 mile hike to the Na Pali Coastline.  4 miles there and back...and all six of us perceived it to be uphill both ways.

(Waimea Canyon)
















The picture above is on the way to the trail for the Na Pali Coastline.  Once we got to the trail, we started our uphill trek which, as you might have guessed from before, stayed uphill practically the whole time.  Do not let this discourage you if you get the opportunity to take this hike!  When it seems like you've been walking forever, you get to the edge of the coastline and it is sooo worth it.  The soreness you feel for the next couple days is worth it, too.  We had a great time hiking together and my brother's girlfriend, who was an NCAA athlete in college, even said it was a challenging hike.  That made the rest of us feel a lot better for having completed it :)




The pictures don't do it justice, but the view is incredible!!!













On our last day there, we went stand up paddle boarding (SUP).  I had been excited to do this since I first heard about it last year.  Then I saw the Tone it Up (TIU) girls, Karena and Katrina, SUP-ing in one of their videos!  I had started doing TIU workouts the week before I left for Hawaii so once I saw the SUP video, I knew I wanted to try! And, it's as fun as it looks and is a great arm workout as well as leg and core workout since you have to balance so much.  TIP: if the wind sweeps you far, far away from the rest of everyone else in the water like it did to me, stop standing!  Keep paddling, but kneel on your knees instead of standing!  You'll have a lot more control over what direction you go :)

Hope you all get to try SUP and get to do this amazing hike!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you know that I paddle boarded too, and loved it! AND, they have paddle yoga here in Seattle. EEK! :)

    PS- don't read my blog. It's super old, hahaha

    ReplyDelete