Saturday, May 21, 2011

Surf Craze!!

For those of you have never been, surfing is amazing.  For those of you who have, then you know what I'm talking about.  I think it is by far the coolest and most exciting thing I've ever done.  Now, I've always been beach-obsessed, so I've always known I wanted to go surfing.  However, with the exception of trying once at the age of 10 with my surfer cousins in Florida ---on a day with no waves---my surfing experience was, well,...nonexistent.    That said, I was BEYOND excited to go surfing one morning in Hawaii over Spring Break!

I was so excited to actually be doing what I had tried to vicariously feel while watching movies like Blue Crush or watching surfers like Kelly Slater, Bethany Hamilton, or even my cousin Josh.  I had also seen pictures of my boyfriend surfing and while I had stood on his board when it was sitting on carpet, standing on a board while on a WAVE was incredible.
Doesn't really count, I know...

It's pointless to tell you surfing is a good workout, but MAN.  First you have to paddle out into the water, then once you see a good wave coming, you have to paddle really hard in order to catch it.  That was my problem.  I've got the balance part of surfing down!  Maybe a minor issue there is that I'm goofy foot (meaning I put my right foot forward on the board instead of my left), but standing on the board isn't my problem; paddling is.  I had tried "training" for this day by doing a bunch of pushups and arm exercises regularly before we left for Hawaii, but I was SO sore!  At one point, I rode a wave in and it took me about 20 minutes just to get back to my family in the water...mostly because my thought process went as follows: "OH! Well here comes a wave, I'll just try to get this one *start paddling...miss wave...try to get back to family...see another wave...try to catch that one, too...miss it...*.  Repeat this process a few more times, and that is how I spent a good 30 minutes.

If you look at any surfer though, you'll see that they really need to train for this sport.  It requires a lot of upper body strength, but that's definitely not all.  You need a strong core and strong everything to get up there and do it well!  In fact, here's a link to lots of benefits of surfing...including lots of information about the type of nutrition and cross training surfers eat and do!


And here is a glimpse of one of the best days I have had yet! :D  Go surfing!

No comments:

Post a Comment